NEWS CHINA INDIA MILITARY
NEW DELHI: The militaries of India and China have restored the June 6 positions vis-à-vis the Galwan Valley in Ladakh, where the two sides engaged in a bloody clash killing 20 soldiers on the Indian side and causing an unspecific number of casualties on the Chinese side. The two sides began working out the modalities for disengagement of troops and removal of their military equipment including tanks, fighter jets etc near the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
The Union ministry of external affairs said both the nations have agreed to reduce tension and create peace through dialogue. Talks are being held at both military and diplomatic levels
The meeting held by Lt General-level Commanders of the two sides continued till late at night on Tuesday. The attack took place on Monday night, last week. The clash occurred a week after a similar arrangement of disengagement had been worked out between the two sides on June 6. The clash, with iron rods, stones etc, threw a spanner in the wheels.
A report quoted Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian as saying in Beijing, “The meeting showed that the two sides wish to control and alleviate the situation through dialogue… and have agreed to take measures to cool down the situation.”
Meanwhile, focus shifted to Pangong Lake where Chinese soldiers are massed up with weapons for nearly two months. This is about 8 kilometers inside the LAC. The first scuffle between Indian and Chinese soldiers occurred at Pangong Lake on May 5.
External affairs ministry sources said China has been trying for quite some time to occupy areas near Galwan and Pangong Lake that are part of India but China keeps saying these are their territories.
VILLAIN OF THE PIECE
The sources said the Chinese action in Ladakh was masterminded by General Zhao Zhongqi, the Commander of the Western Theater Command and a confidant of President Xi. He was the man behind the Doklam usurpation too, and is said to have an urge to prove a point or two to further his ambition to become the deputy to President Xi in the military commission and then the governance establishment. India, he thought, was easy prey.
The Doklam military action took place in 2017 when Chinese PLA occupied parts of Bhutanese territory and India sent its soldiers to defend Bhutanese land on the basis of an agreement of military cooperation between the two nations. The part of the land already usurped by China remains with it, but Indian soldiers were able to stop them in their tracks. IHN-NN
INDIA HERE AND NOW www.indiahereandnow.com email:email@example.com