CHINESE OFFENSIVE: Colonel among 20 Jawans killed by China in action at Ladakh

UPDATE: Latest reports say up to 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the Chinese action, including one Colonel. There were some 40 casualties on the Chinese side, some reports said, but China has not confirmed this. IHN-NNChina’s vice foreign minister Luo Zhaohui and Indian Ambassador to China Vikram Misri holds a meeting in Beijing on Tuesday. Defence minister Rajnath Singh meet PM Modi and briefs him about the situation on the LoC. IHN-NN

NEWS CHINA KILLING 

NEW DELHI: An Indian army officer and two soldiers were killed by forces from the Chinese side along the northern border at Galwan Valley in Ladakh on Monday night. An official announcement was made here this afternoon about the incident, which said the deaths took place in a physical engagement, and not in firing.

“Colonel B Santosh Babu from Telangana, Havildar Palani from Tamil Nadu and Sepoy Ojha from Jharkhand, were killed,” officials in Delhi said.

The Chinese aggressiveness, a hand-to-hand combat on Indian soil, came even as senior military representatives were holding a series of talks on contentious issues in Ladakh region. The last time India lost its soldiers to Chinese aggression was in 1975. China accused India of forcing its way into Chinese soil.

“During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place yesterday night with casualties. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation,” the official announcement here said.

The deceased officer was in the rank of a Colonel, Commander of the 16 Bihar battallion.

Indian and Chinese soldiers were on a face-off in recent weeks at Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie in eastern Ladakh. A significant number of Chinese army personnel even transgressed into the Indian side of the Line of Actual Control or the de-facto border in several areas including Pangong Tso, a report said.

The Chinese Army had earlier pulled back its troops from the Galwan valley, PP-15 and Hot Springs in Eastern Ladakh area. The Indian side also brought back some of its troops and vehicles from these areas. –IHN-NN

INDIA HERE AND NOW www.indiahereandnow.com email:indianow999@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s