KORONA NEW KERALA ITALY
KOCHI: Despite all the precautions the Kerala government has taken from the very start, five cases of corona virus infections have been reported from Pathanamthitta district, adding to the scare in the state. Three of them – from a family – had recently visited Italy, and on return they refused to heed the government alert for tests by those coming in from abroad. Next to China, Italy has a large number of corona virus infections – apparently an import from China.
State health minister KK Shylaja Teacher told the media on Saturday that the family refused to get admitted even after the belated tests they underwent. The three are a couple, fifty-plus, and their son in his twenties. They are currently in Pathanamthitta General Hospital’s isolation ward.
The detection came after some of the relatives went to a hospital with complaints of fever and uneasiness. Upon tests, they were confirmed to have contracted the disease. They referred to their relatives who returned from Italy recently, and the three were zeroed in on. The family had travelled from Venice to Doha and then to Kochi, and touched down here on March 1.
Two of the relatives of the family were tested positive, the minister said.
Curiously, of the total 40 confirmed coronavirus infections in India, 16 are of those who have returned from Italy.
Some 52 testing labs are currently operational across the country for testing coronavirus (COVID-19) infections, the Union health ministry has stated.
Over 1,00,000 people across the world have been infected by the virus so far, and the total deaths were of 3,500 across 95 nations so far.
ITALY UNDER LOCK-DOWN
Italy has recorded over 230 deaths due to the deadly virus; and millions have been quarantined in specific regions. An agency report from Rome said a quarter of the Italian population were put under lock-down on Sunday as the government took drastic measures to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
An agency report from Rome said a quarter of the Italian population was put under lock-down on Sunday as the government took drastic measures to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
Italy has seen the most deaths from the COVID-19 disease outside China, where the outbreak that has now infected 100,000 worldwide began in December. “Until April 3, people will be barred from entering or leaving vast areas of northern Italy without a serious and urgent reason to do so, according to a decree signed off by the prime minister overnight and published online Sunday,” the report by AFP said.
The minister said there is an advisory against public gatherings, but the Attukaal Pongala on Sunday will be held as usual. However, its participants must on their own be alert. Those who have fever, cough, body pain and similar symptoms of corona virus should keep off the Pongala this time, she said.
Attukaal Pongala is the largest religious gathering in the world exclusively for women worshippers of Aattukaal Devi, held every years, and participated by millions of women who set up hearths on roads and other open spaces in the morning this day, and make rice porridge as offering to the Devi (goddess).